This post introduces an easy and affordable Sony 4K Converter to help you convert Sony XAVC/XAVC-S 4K footage to whatever format you request on a Mac or Windows platform.
Over the latest years, Sony has released a quite number of 4K cameras, including professional-level camcorders like Sony PMW-F55, and consumer-level Handycam models like Sony FDR-AX100 and Sony FDR-AX33, as well as 4K Action Cams such as Sony FDR-X1000V and Sony HDR-AS100V.
What are Sony’s 4K formats?
Sony has created the XAVC compression codec to keep up with 4k technology in video and film production. The XAVC codec is geared toward 4k production but can still be found useful for 2k production. Beyond film production, Sony’s XAVC technology encourages other genres such as TV dramas, entertainment shows, documentaries and commercials to adopt the format.
XAVC S is the consumer version of the high-end XAVC format and supports resolutions up to 3840 × 2160 and uses MP4 as the container format. For its audio it supports either AAC or LPCM. With the emergence of Sony high-definition camcorders in the consumer market, the Sony XAVC S video format has been widely adopted.
To ensure the most comprehensive Ultra-HD 4K video editing experience, videographers sometimes need to change XAVC S 4K (3840×2160) to Apple ProRes codec, an edit friendly codec that is suitable for use in most major NLEs, such as FCP 7, FCP X, Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, and more. This requires third party software like HD Video Converter. Here’s a guide telling you how to encode XAVC S 4K (3840×2160) to Apple ProRes via using this video transcoder.
Why need a Sony 4K Video Converter?
1) To ensure the most comprehensive 4K (4096 x 2160 and 3840 x 2160) video editing experience,, people sometimes need to transcode Sony 4K XAVC/XAVC S footage to a format that is best suitable for their NLEs. This requires a third party Sony 4K Video Converter.
2) To be able to play Sony 4K media on software media players or mobile devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone 6, Galaxy Tab Note, Galaxy S6) smoothly, users need to down-convert Sony 4K video to a 1080p or 720p video in a widely-accepted H.264 MP4 format. That’s where a Sony 4K Converter comes in.
What’s the best Sony 4K Converter for Mac/Windows?
HD Video Converter is positioned as one of the best Sony 4K Content Converter. It is able to convert 4K video files encoded with HEVC/H.265, VP9, XAVC S, XAVC and H.264 codec to whatever format you need preserving original 4K quality or down-converting them to 1080p, 720p and SD.
You can download a demo version to have a try. They are not free but it is totally worth it.
– Convert 4K, 2K, Full HD 1080p/1080i, HD 720p and SD video files in format of AVCHD, MTS, M2T, M2TS, TS, MXF, MKV, H.264, P2 MXF, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, M4V, etc. to any formats you request.
– Convert 4K video files to other formats maintaining 4K quality (3840×2160 or 4096×2304).
– Support transcoding Sony’s XAVC 4K/2K/HD and XAVC S 4K/2K/HD files as well as XDCAM, XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX and Canon’s XF-AVC footage to your required file types.
– Create optimized files for viewing on iOS devices (Apple iPhone, iPad, and itouch), Android smartphones/tablets (Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire, etc.), HDTVs, HD players, and more.
– Support Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD, Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC), DVCPRO, HDV, DV and QuickTime Movie Format encoding for working with NLEs beautifully.
– Re-encode 4K, 2K, HD and SD videos (including camera/camcorder footage) to optimal formats for editing programs like iMovie, Final Cut Express, FCP 6/7, FCP X, Avid, Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, DaVinci Resolve, Windows Movie Maker, After Effects, Edius, Magix Edit Pro, etc.
– Edit videos by using functions like clip, crop, add watermark, custom video effect, merge, enable 3D settings, etc.
Top 5 4K media Player for Mac and Windows
Problems importing Sony RX100 IV XAVC S 4K video to FCP 7
FZ300 in iMovie-import DMC-FZ300 4K MP4/AVCHD to iMovie
Mac 4K Player-how can I play 4K video on Mac (Yosemite)?
How to import and edit H.265/HEVC 4K video in Sony Vegas?